Reporting To: Outdoor Activity Manager
Salary: On application, based on qualifications / experience
Term: Permanent, subject to 3 month and 12 month review
Working Hours: 40 hours a week
Additional Benefits: Paid holiday & option to join pension scheme
Located between Bracknell and Wokingham, Oakwood Youth Challenge is a Christian charity, comprising of Oakwood Outdoors, a residential activity centre, and Oakwood Climbing Centre. Our aim is to provide an environment where individuals of all abilities can progress and be challenged physically, socially and spiritually.
Oakwood Youth Challenge is a Christian outdoor pursuits centre registered as a charity. The aim of our centre is to make a significant impact on local youth, challenging them holistically. We achieve this by working with schools and running our own youth clubs.
We offer a broad range of activities including a High Ropes course, Mountain Biking (on site and off site), Archery, Mountain Boarding, Climbing, Low Ropes, Team Building and more high elements such as the Flying Kiwi and Leap of Faith. Our activities are offered mostly on site, with the intention to bring back some off site sessions including Mountain Biking which takes place in the popular Swinley Forest and the occasional single pitch climbing excursion further afield. We offer full residential experiences as well as short activity sessions to a wide variety of returning customers.
At Oakwood Youth Challenge we aim to provide action packed activity sessions to optimise value for money for clients. We aim to be ahead of the game by innovation, flexibility and an understanding of our customer’s requirements. One of our most recent developments is a purpose built, state of the art indoor climbing and bouldering wall.
Oakwood Youth Challenge is situated within 15 minutes’ drive of over 30 schools which regularly visit our centre. Activities are offered throughout the year with an average of 100 000 visits per annum for both the outdoor and indoor centres. The successful candidate will be required to work in the climbing centre during the quieter outdoor months on a shift basis.
· Organising and delivering technical staff training and assessments
· Overseeing and carrying out kit checks and purchasing of new equipment
· Undertaking operational inspections of high ropes activity structures
· Planning and implementing complex activity programs for up to 70 participants over multiple days in collaboration with the activity manager
· Supporting the activity manager in welcoming, hosting and organising activity groups
· Supporting the activity manager in setting the example and standards for activity sessions
· Ensuring that Oakwood sessions meet the required learning outcomes using reflective practice.
· Confidently, calmly and professionally dealing with behavioural and physical issues of visiting groups
Qualification / Experience
Experience in running bushcraft, orienteering and archery as a minimum
A minimum of 2 years of instructing experience in a supervisory role
SPA / RCI
MBL (or equivalent plus navigational proficiency)
ERCA High Ropes Instructor and Rescuer
GNAS / Archery GB Archery Leader
· Highly motivated and energetic, with a positive attitude and excellent work ethic
· Able to lead a team in an inspirational and motivated way
· Supportive of Oakwood’s ethos and keeping this represented through the team.
How To Apply
Please send your CV along with a covering letter to email@example.com
If you would like to find out more about Oakwood, please visit www.oakwoodyouth.co.uk for our outdoor centre, and www.oakwoodclimbingcentre.com for our climbing centre.